Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Title Conundrums

At Borders today I had a shock that many novelists often face, but never like, especially when they're still struggling. I found a newly released children's book with the *same* title as my YA manuscript--CICADA SUMMER. The book looked adorable, the story sounded fascinating, albeit the target audience was much younger than mine and the story far lighter. Still, I wanted to slash my wrists and die. I realize the Literary Police aren't going to hunt me down, but it seems the title is symbolic of one of its themes, just as in my novel, and now--now I'm deathly afraid that if I do get my book published, this writer will think I somehow stole part of her idea, when of course I didn't. How can this happen, and what if, when I shop the manuscript to agents, they think I did something under-handed? I feel guilty and I don't even know why. I'm worrying about what to do--beyond killing my novel and myself, that is. That's all for today. Time for some chocolate and a bottle of tequila.

No comments: